Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Painting clouds, wood or canvas?

Three Beach Poles, oil on panel, 120 x 160 cm

As you can see in the video 'Painting Clouds by Layering' I paint on wood, 6 mil. MDF to be exact. I used to paint on canvas, but some ten years ago I switched to panel. I need a solid ground for the stippling technique that I use to make gradual transitions. This technique is a simple and effective way to get the gradual changes from one shade of blue into another you'll see in the sky. I buy the stippling brushes at the construction market.

Had some lovely comments on the video, and some questions too, like 'what can I learn from your video?". Here's a list:
- how to paint clouds by painting transparent layers on top of each other
- how to paint gradual transitions
- how to paint the edges of a cloud
- how to mix colored greys
- how to use transparent white
- how to use different types of brushes


More on some of these subjects in in my next post. In the meantime, you could watch  the trailer for the video or visit my website. Please let me know what you think!

6 comments:

  1. Hello Janhendrik Dolsma,
    I just wanted to say that your video changed my life!!!!! I have been following your work for several years now and personally consider you one of the best sky and cloud painters alive today. I personally am a seascape painter that has longed to produce something better than cartoon clouds, but without detailed instructions have had no luck. Your video has finally given me the help I have needed and I am so thankful. You are a true Master and your video offers me a chance to paint clouds, the sky and even the beach scenes at a whole new level.

    Thanks Again,
    Marc Christian Kunze USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Marc,

    Thank you so much for your comment! Blows me away... I'm really grateful that the video is helpful. It's exactly what I was hoping for. Keep me posted!

    Janhendrik

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites blog site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my site as well and let me know what you think.
    Roof Spraying

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ramiz! Very professional, your Roof Spraying site . I like the changing image at the top. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janhendrik,
    Thank you so much for your very thorough and honest video. They say a true master is someone who can explain complex phenomena in a simple way. If that is true, then your treatment of cloud painting is certainly masterful. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete