Saturday, July 5, 2014

Breaking my own rule

Those of you who are familiar with my work know the human figure doesn’t play a prominent role in it, and that’s an understatement. Still, for some resason I don’t really understand myself, I lately painted an image with a human figure in it. A woman in white, strolling along the beach, her feet in the water. I called it ‘A Day at the Beach’. 

A Day At The Beach #1, oil on panel 32 x 32 cm

Then I got the idea I could maybe make ‘A Day at the Beach’ triptych. The second painting was a little boy, playing in the water. Totally absorbed in his play, like children can.

A Day At The Beach #2, oil on panel 32 x 32 cm

I usually have a pretty detailed plan before I start working, but not this time. I had the right- and the left wing of my tryptich and all I needed now was a centerpiece. I searched my photo archive for an idea, but nothing came up and I let the whole thing go.

Last May me and my family spent a short vacation on one of the Dutch islands and I took a picture of my grandson and his dad walking towards the sea. There it was, my centerpiece!


 
A Day At The Beach #3, oil on panel 32 x 64 cm

Now I got another problem. I’m really content with the centerpiece, but it doesn’t go well with the right and the left wing, I think. That’s what you get if you don’t make a plan… Maybe I should start all over again and make a proper plan for the right- as well as the left wing. What do you think?










2 comments:

  1. The 3 can stand alone - awesome. Your intuition was better than a plan this time. The figures tell stories that the beach scapes alone can't. The figures fit in as a whole with the picture's rhythm. A quantum leap. Before the pictures without the figures were great, these are even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rob. I returned from a short vacation yesterday and had a fresh look at the tryptich. The doubts I had before simply vanished. Your comment is a strong support. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete