Thursday, February 19, 2015

Horizons

I find myself more and more attracted to oblong panels. It's hard to pin down exactly what I like about them so much. It probably has to do with the character of the landscape I'm painting. Those of you who visited the Netherlands know that it's as flat as a pancake. The closest thing to a hill is an overpass. And even our defense line against the ocean, the dunes, have a strong horizontal aspect. And it's this aspect that's fits in with really well with an oblong format.

Beach with Tyre Tracks, oil on panel, 150 x 50 cm

Sunset, oil on panel, 150 x 35 cm

This coming June I got a solo show in The Hague (the Netherlands), where I hope to show a number of these panels. Let me know what you're thinking!

In the meantime work on the new video is steadily progressing. We got a new HD camera. Amazing quality. Can't wait to present the footage. Have to be patient though. It'll take at least a couple of months before it's ready. What I can show you though is a clip that'll probably be in the video. It's on the subject of color mixing, especially about how to mix colored greys. Fairly technical, but if you're into painting it might be interesting. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have a question!






6 comments:

  1. I love your long panels I do enjoy viewing all your work and it's a shame I cant get to see your exhibition, have you considered producing a paperback book with you exhibition work in it,I'm sure you would get several sales.

    As a amateur photographer I produce seascapes and landscapes in the letterbox style, I feel they are more viewable to the eye, I am just starting a 100cm x 50cm seascape/skyscape canvas using acrylics as a medium, if you have any tips or hints how to produce this I would be very grateful as I am a beginner who is finding the change from photography to art difficult especially using acrylics I have not even considered using oils

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words Phi! Some ten years ago I had a book out on my work, but it's sold out. I have considered publishing another one, but it's quite a lot of work and I have to make choices. I now divide my time between painting, producing videos and this blog.
    If you email a picture of your work (info@janhendrikdolsma.nl) I'd be happy to give you some tips. The only tip I can give right now is: switch to oils. But that comes from a guy who was never any good at acrylics...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for getting back to me and also for your emails, it is so good to hear from the author of a blog/website as I have viewed several artists sites and I have left comments and they just don't bother to reply...

    It's very dull and overcast here so I have left the brushes (Rosemary & Co hand made brushes) in the jug I store them, perhaps tomorrow will be a painting day???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your compliment Phil. I really appreciate it when people take the trouble to respond to my blog entries. Would be stupid not to answer them.
      Today is a wonderful sunny day here in Holland. Lots of light. A good day for painting!

      Delete
  4. Love your newsletters! This was a great demo on how to mix grays. Also want to say how much I enjoyed your video on Painting Clouds. It was a wonderful insight into your technique. Though I use acrylics, your advice can be adapted. It took me over 40 years to finally get acrylics to behave the way I wanted - in hindsight would have been less of a struggle had I chosen to work in oils. However, I appreciate the fast-drying aspects for certain techniques and the versatility now available with various gels and retarder mediums. So I guess I'll stick with it. Thanks for all your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gayle! So good to hear the demo has been useful. I admire your perseverance in mastering acrylics. I.ve never been any good at it, though I sometimes use them for a firts layer, if I want it to dry fast. Love to see some of your work!

      Delete