Thursday, February 2, 2017

North Sea Beach

Quite a few people presume that when you're a professional painter you always know exactly what you're doing and that you control the outcome of each painting. Sorry to break the news, but even when you paint for a living the whole process can be downright frustrating and sometimes you run into a really stubborn painting that drives you nuts. Sounds familiar?





Last week I uploaded a 5 min. video on YouTube that tells the story of 'North Sea Beach' (oil on panel, 33.5 x 59"). Let me know if you have a similar story!

4 comments:

  1. YES!!! I can totally relate, especially when painting skyscapes - constantly changing. Mom called this the "fiddle factor". In the case of your North Sea Beach, the result was absolutely stunning. Thank you for sharing the progression of this painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila! Feeling free to just fiddle makes up a lot of the fun of painting. I hope to enjoy this fiddle factor for a long long time!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing the process. At one point I was laughting with the back and forth! A few of the different stages would have been "it" for me. But the last version is really good with the bigger beach and the wonderfull color of the water. Congratulations. And yes, I will be waiting for the hazzy beach1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was fun from the moment I accepted the back and forth and I started to enjoy the whole thing. The worst that can happen that you make a lousy painting...

      Delete