Thursday, August 17, 2017

The brush and the saw

Lately I've been struggling with a 12x20'' painting. Never got to the 'now-we're-getting-somewhere' point. In the same period I sold a 6x20'' painting to a buyer who didn't care for the frame, so I had a spare frame. Of the same width. One plus one is two, eh? I digitally cropped the picture of the original painting to a size that would fit the spare frame and I really liked the result. But there is a difference between Photoshop and reality: cmd z. Once the panel has been sawn in two you can't restore it with a simple keyboard command. 

The 12x20" version, before cropping

I slept over it a few nights and then decided I would go for it. I don't have the tools to get the job done, but I live in a town where they have something called a 'stadswerkplaats', a city work shop. It costs next to nothing, they have all the tools and if you're a bit clumsy (like me), they're always willing to help you.

I just got back from the work shop and placed the new painting in the frame and I must say I'm really pleased with the result.

Which goes to show that a painter needs more tools than just a brush.

Sun & Mist, oil on panel, 6x20"

Now I have a new problem: what to do with the leftover part...



4 comments:

  1. Diptych? Paint another half to replace the one you cropped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pallet...different contrast and clearness ...big fan,Congrats JHD,excellent work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arthur! I made a few minor changes in the sky and the sea, but it's mainly the top of the larger painting. I've done stuff like this before, but this time it turned out really well.

      Delete