Friday, June 8, 2018

Before the Storm, the video

It's been a while since my last tutorial (3 years to be exact), so I'm very pleased to announce I finally finished the third one. The subject this time is painting storm clouds. As usual the video follows the painting process, from it's planning stages to the finished work. I'm adding the dry brush to the list of painting techniques. It's a very helpful tool for painting life like clouds. 

I just posted a 6 min. trailer on YouTube and on my website. If you decide to purchase the video, please go to http://paintingskies.com/video/ 


Before the Storm, oil on panel, 70 x 120 cm

Just like before the camera work was done by Theo van Egeraat and again it's simply great. This is the third video we did together and our corporation felt very familiar. I was not at all bothered by the camera while painting.

The music for the video has been specially composed by Udo Pannekeet, bass player, composer and conservatory teacher. His amazing soundscapes add a wonderful feeling to the video.

My friend and fellow painter David L. Smith (great seascapes!) generously offered to edit the English voice over and since I'm not a native speaker his contribution was crucial for keeping the voice over understandable.

Let me know what you think!

15 comments:

  1. Got it for myself and one more for my friend ,who is beginner...personally i have all collection of JHD demonstration's...TY...“The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.”
    ‭‭Ps...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Arthur! Hope this one is useful too.

      Delete
  2. I love painting landscape in oils but I have a problem with edges of clouds. Is it all right if I draw edges of clouds with pencil, shaking my hand to create something like a crack, I don't know maybe like the edges of continents on a map!!! painting the outside of clouds, using linseed oil instead of liquin to prevent from drying fast and then painting inside, using liquin and go a little bit further into the sky to create a fuzzy appearance?
    so confused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Behzad, the edges of a cloud are pretty hard to paint. First: the combination of Liquin and linseed oil is probably not a good idea. They are (chemically) totally different substances and mixing them will cause all kinds of unpredictable reactions. Second: I often draw the outlines of my clouds. I explained this method in my Painting Clouds video (www.paintingskies.com/video). An alternative method is to paint your clouds on a dry blue underlayer. If you want to find out about it you could download my Painting Reflections video. Success!

      Delete
  3. I bought the tutorial video painting clouds by layering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hope it's helpful. If you have any questions, please ask!

      Delete
  4. Of course it was very helpful and informative for me and I think it's worth every penny.
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it's an amazing and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love nature and painting is my passion. Both the things at one place is my dream come true. Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! It's beautiful... Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work is so amazing and I love your teaching. I bought all three videos but don’t know how to find them. Can you PLEASE help me. Thanks Charlainne

    ReplyDelete
  9. This painting is epic and monumental. It has so much power in itself.

    ReplyDelete