Thursday, October 9, 2014

Rømø Beach

As promised in my previous blog entry, here's an oil sketch of a beach scene on the Danish island Rømø.


Rømø Beach #1, oil on paper sketch, 30 x 40 cm

Maybe you remember the triptych I was working on last July. Each of the three images had a human figure in it, which is quite exceptional for me. Since then I've been thinking about doing more of that. Got some encouraging reactions to the triptych and  when I showed it in an exhibition at the Møhlmann Museum (a privately funded museum of contempory Dutch realism) all three paintings were sold within a week. 'I must be on to something here...' I thought. Lots of different ideas went through my head and at the moment I'm working on a painting with a guy in a red jacket walking towards the sea. Hope to show you the result in my next blog.

Rømø Beach #2, oil on paper sketch, 30 x 40 cm

Anyway, I wondered what the Rømø sketch would look like with a few figures in it. 'What's the worst that can happen' I said to myself and I added  three guys walking on the beach. I'm not sure about the result. Did it get better? Please let me know what you're thinking!

4 comments:

  1. As an amateur photographer and we are always told to include figures as these give a sense of scale and Janhendrik I think your inclusion of figures have enhanced the painting especially as they are placed on a third...

    As for my art work I am still trying to get to grips with acrylics.

    Phil Smith
    Ipswich, Suffolk, Uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your response, Phil. You're right, they give a sense of scale. I always want the focus to be on light and space and I was afraid that figures would be distracting. But now I'm drawn to them more and more.

    I never was any good at acrylics. I sometimes use them as underpainting for my oils. Works just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Phil, the figures add to the painting, though it could stand on its own without them... I like the fact that you have not gone with the usual, dog and human etc etc.. I imagine these guys walking to the bar after a days sea fishing..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of them walking to the bar after a day of fishing. I figured they're out on the beach after a boring day at the office.

    Funny, this is what happens the minute you paint figures in a landscape: they will be the focal point and the landscape becomes background.

    Thanks Grahame. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete